it’s all yoga, baby is the Jay-Z of the yoga blog world. A beloved blog about yoga and other things, it existed between April 2009 and January 2011, only to be resurrected in June. Roseanne Harvey (the main voice behind the blog) is known for questioning, provoking thought and shining a critical light on yoga culture ~ while celebrating community, service, creativity, the independent spirit and good ol’ fun.
Roseanne is fascinated by how yoga is represented in popular culture, unabashedly anti-consumerist and highly skeptical of the increasing commercialization of yoga in the West. As the former editor of ascent magazine, Roseanne isn’t afraid to use her media literacy skills to call out the hypocrisies and contradictions of modern yoga. She is all for dismantling the dominant hegemony of rock star teachers, expensive class fees and designer clothes/accessories/products.
She is also a yoga teacher who believes in making yoga accessible, fun and available to all people, regardless of socio-economic status or body type. Roseanne teaches weekly community classes in Montreal at the Mile End Mission. She is also available for affordable private lessons.
The fantastic beautiful banner image on this blog is the work of Jonathan Himsworth. He’s better known for his Stadium Art Movement (soccer stadiums in dense urban settings), but he sure knows how to say “It’s all yoga, baby.”
it’s all yoga, baby has received quite a bit of praise:
- Quoted in The Globe and Mail article, The Oversexualization of Yoga
- Well+GoodNYC called it “a veritable think tank on the popularity of yoga and its cultural implications”
- Named one of the “in” yoga blogs for 2010 by the venerable YogaDawg
- Listed as one of the 100 Incredible Yoga Teachers Who Blog on the Nursing School Search Blog
- One of the “best yoga blogs,” according to the Cirkla holistic directory
- Included among (the highly prestigious) LVN to RN’s Best 100 Yoga & Meditation Blogs
- Made it onto some random list of Top 50 Yoga Blogs for a Healthy Mind and Body